I talked with a friend right before I made this dish. He said he never had bitter melon salad before, and he didn’t even know bitter melon can eat raw. So I decided to make this salad to show him.
I love salad during the summer. The big difference between Chinese salad and American salad is the dressing. We make our salad dressing by mixing vinegar, soybean sauce, sesame oil, etc.
bitter melon, napa cabbage, carrot, seasoning.
1. Slice bitter melon in the middle, clean all the white stuff, then slice into thin slices.
2. Shred carrot and napa cabbage. Mix with sliced bitter melon.
3. Mix whatever seasoning you would like to use, or if you prefer store bought salad dressing.
I used salt, sugar, vinegar, soybean sauce and sesame oil.
4. Pour salad dressing over vegetables, mix well, let it sit for several minutes to have the salad well seasoned.
5. Serve it cold.
I’m not a regular potato salad fun, I like the one with ranch much better.
4 medium size potatoes, 4 eggs, 4 strips of bacon
1. Boil potato and egg, then peel and chop into small cubes.
2. Pan fry bacon, remove from heat before it gets crispy. Use kitchen towel to pat dry, then break into pieces.
3. Mix same amount ranch and mayo.
4. Mix potato, egg and bacon, then pour mayo mixture over it, mix well.
5. Keep it refrigerated before serving.