I love spring rolls better than egg rolls, because of their crispy wrap. Wrap of spring rolls is very thin, and is very crispy after deep frying.
Filling: Napa Cabbage, carrot, eggs, cellophane noodle, seasoning to taste. little wheat flour for sealing.
Spring roll Wrap, flour
1. Soak cellophane noodle in water, set aside.
2. Set spring roll wrap aside to defrost.
The wrap is frozen, I normally take it out of freezer, let it sit in air to defrost. It will be ready when I’m done cooking filling.
3. Beat eggs well, heat up frying pan, add cooking oil to make some not-too-thick egg sheets.
I made 3 sheets out of 4 eggs.
4. Chop egg sheets into thin sticks, as shown in picture.
5. Chop Napa Cabbage and carrot into thin strips.
6. Chop cellophane noodle into short sticks.
7. Heat up skillet, add cooking oil, stir fry Napa Cabbage and carrot on medium high heat for several minutes.
8. Add cellophane noodle into skillet, cook until it get tender. Add small amount of water if needed.
Noodle will turn clear when it’s well cooked. Normally the juice comes out of cabbage would be enough to soften the noodle, but if not, you can get some water, just as much as you need to cook the noodle real tender. No need to make the filling watery since the wrap doesn’t like wet filling.
9. Add egg strips into skillet, mix well, add salt and white pepper and any other seasoning to your taste, cook for another minute, add sesame oil, mix well. Drain if there is any juice, set aside to let it cool.
Filling has to be dry and cool to be wrapped.
10. Mix flour and water, beat until smooth.
This is the sealing batter. It don’t have to be too thick.
11. Take a sheet of the spring roll wrap, fill in some filling, brush the sealing batter along the edge, then wrap it up.
12. Deep fry spring rolls on medium high heat until golden brown. Serve when hot.
You can do air fry or bake if you’d like the healthier result. Simply brush the spring rolls with cooking oil first, then follow the cooking instructions.