This is the one of the tradition food for Chinese New Year. Of course you can make it any time you want to.
I learned this from a friend who came from Fujian Providence, so I call it ‘Fujian Rice Cake’ sometimes.
rice flour, sweet rice flour, sugar.
1. Mix rice flour and sweet rice flour as 1:3.
The one in red print is rice flour, and the one in green is sweet rice flour.
2. Add sugar to your taste.
3. Add water, slowly, stir as you add water. Just add enough to wet the flour.
It’s not going to be a dough, it’s going to be smooth batter.
4. Pour the mixture into a steamable container.
I used a glass lunch box.
5. Steam for about 30 minutes. Let it sit until it’s cool, then freeze to colder.
6. Slice rice cake into 1/4 inch slice.
7. Heat up the skillet on medium heat, add oil.
To fry rice cake, you’ll need more oil. Of course, you can always add more if you need to.
8. Lay rice cake slices into skillet, set them apart.
Slices will be very sticky when they get hot.
9. Flip when bottom turn golden brown.
10. They are ready to serve when both sides turn golden brown.
11. Serve hot.