The Squash I used is normally called ‘Japanese Squash’ at Asian Supermarket. It’s called Kabocha Squash offically. It tastes sweet, and is my favorite squash.
ribs, squash, egg white, corn starch, seasoning.
1. Clean ribs with water, then put into a saucepan, add water to cover all the ribs, add some cooking wine, white vinegar, and a few slices of ginger root. Cook on medium high heat to boil. Turn off heat, then let it sit for about 5 minutes.
When cooking meat and seafood, I love to use some ginger root. I think ginger works much better than lemon juice.
2. Rinse ribs with warm water, then dry with paper towel. Add seasoning to ribs, set overnight in refrigerator or at least several hours.
For seasoning, I normally use soybean sauce, vinegar, sugar, salt, ginger root, green onion and black pepper.
3. Clean the squash, chop the top off, take all the seeds out.
4. Mix seasoned ribs with a little bit egg white, mix well with corn starch then. Fill ribs into squash.
5. Steam the squash for about 50 – 60 minutes.
6. You can top with chopped green onion. Serve warm.
You can use other kind but similar squash, like acorn squash. Of course, you can use other kind of meat, too. I’m thinking of trying chicken one day. I think it would be good, too.
To view this recipe in Chinese, please click here.