Bitter Melon is also called Bitter Squash. As its name, it does taste bitter, but it’s good for you, by Chinese sayings. Actually, anything tastes bitter is good for your health, by old sayings in China.
I’m not a bitter melon fan, but I do cook it once a while, mainly stir fry with eggs.
2 medium size bitter melon, 3 eggs, 2 red cayenne pepper, 10 wood ear, seasoning to taste.
1. Soak wood ear in water for about an hour, then clean it up. Tear into smaller pieces if it’s too big.
2. Cut bitter melon in half, scoop the seeds out, then chop into pieces.
3. Chop pepper into pieces.
4. Mix eggs with a little bit cooking wine, set aside.
5. Heat up skillet with high heat, add cooking oil, pour eggs, cook until eggs get firm. Transfer eggs to a plate, set aside.
6. Add cooking oil to skillet, stir fry wood ear until you start hearing it pop.
7. Add pepper and bitter melon into skillet, cook for several minutes, then add salt and pepper, a pinch of sugar. Keeping cooking and stirring.
8. Add cooked eggs back into skillet, keep cooking until bitter melon get some tender.
9. Transfer to plate, serve when it’s hot.
To view this recipe in Chinese, please click here.